AirCraft Models : Nieuport Sesquiplan racer. Finished !

Hubert Boillot

Indeed you did, Hubert!

http://www.largescaleplanes.com/kitdb/details.php?kit=1146

I'm happy to use the photos that are already in this thread. Perhaps a scan of the instructions, and decals if there are any?

Kev

I'll do that and post them in the thread for your perusal.

Hubert

Hard to find a picture of the cockpit. But the opening is so small that i think nobody would notice any accuracy, Hubert.... (especially without any reference...) :)

m06237a.jpg

That's about my thinking as well.

But you know ... "A rivet counter once, a rivet counter for the rest of your life" :rofl:

Hubert

I recall there was ( is?) a lovely book on Nieuport-Delage in the french Docavia series of books...I may even have had it at one time, I still have the Docavia volume on Avions Bernard, they are well worth looking for as there is no better reference on early French aircraft that I have been able to find over the years.

I still have the 1/48 NOIX resin kit of the sesquiplane racer and most of the others to build .....Someday! This is a lovely subject for 1/32, cannot wait to see it finished!

I recall there was ( is?) a lovely book on Nieuport-Delage in the french Docavia series of books...I may even have had it at one time, I still have the Docavia volume on Avions Bernard, they are well worth looking for as there is no better reference on early French aircraft that I have been able to find over the years.

I still have the 1/48 NOIX resin kit of the sesquiplane racer and most of the others to build .....Someday! This is a lovely subject for 1/32, cannot wait to see it finished!

I do have the Docavia book, Paul. But no pic on the NiD-29 cocpit, not the Nid-62 family btw. The only cockpit I found throughout the book is that of the Nid-120, and the instrument panel layout is as I described in a previous post.

In the Windsock datafile and the "Notice Technique" for the NiD-29, there is a profile section though the centerline, and also a plan view. they both show an IP that seems split in 3 parts, with 2 angled sides, a bit like the later MS-406. This is the configuration I will go for, although, as Nicolas has pointed out, the cockpit opening is small and not much will be visible (15 mm dia circle !).

Thanks a lot for the support !

Hubert.

Beautiful choice - I love those '20's and '30's racers! I have 'The Speed Seekers' also; an excellent book and highly recommended for anyone interested in 1920's racing aircraft.

Regards,

Jason

Well I will have "The Speed Seekers" soon, courtesy of Amazon ;) (and Tnarg who pointed me to it, and reminded me to move it from "wishlist" to "buy" :) )

Hubert

Wikipedia tells us that the sole survivor of the Ni.D 29 series exists in the Musee de l'Air et du l'Espace in Paris, but it "is not presently on display". The photo shows it hanging from the ceiling... like so many other interesting planes that we just can't see into, but even that is not the current display situation.

Any Parisian's among us who may know someone who knows someone who can get a photo?

One site did suggest that it was "the fastest plane in the world in 1920", and that wasn't even speaking of the racer, just the biplane Ni.D 29. I'm glad to see its bigger sibling kitted soon in 1.32 (Ni.D 622), but there are quite a few beautiful planes of the 20's and 30's that would be fun to see in our larger scales.

Tnarg

The Speed Seekers book looks great ! On amazon.com it's pretty cheap as used, but on amazon.fr, it's more than 400€.... Just crazy.

Is it possible to order on amazon US and have it delivered in France?

Edited by Zero77

The Speed Seekers book looks great ! On amazon.com it's pretty cheap as used, but on amazon.fr, it's more than 400€.... Just crazy.

Is it possible to order on amazon US and have it delivered in France?

Yes, I do it all the time, Nicolas. the problem with used books is to find a seller that has "international shipping" in the delivery information.

Or search "english and international books" on Amazon France. This is how I bought mine (second hand) yesterday evening, via Amazon France, who handles the transaction on behalf of a US seller, for 41.11 €; shipping included.

Now for a quick update.

For a vacform kit, the engineering is very good (thanks again to the female vacforming process). Given the streamlined shape of the fuselage, the kit's one is made of 4 parts : two half fuselages, a nose fairing and an upper decking that includes the wing roots.

This is what a dry fit of the 4 parts look like; some more tweaking to do, bulkheads and spacers to add, as recommended by Air Craft, but this is not bad at all :).

IMG_0514_zpslhc0l69e.jpg

Hubert

PS : did you notice the small size of the cockpit opening ? And I am worried about what the IP and the rest of the cockpit look like :mental: ?

Edited by MostlyRacers

Wow! This is an oldie but goldie kit! Company founded in 1991 and closed in 1997. So this kit is at least 20 years old! Also looong OOP and gone by the wind. You are a lucky man with something like this in your stash :speak_cool:

Regards

- dutik

Just back from the stash. I have this kit! I bought it from the Cooper Models guy. I will watch this build with interest. I like vac kits.

Rick