The best 1/32 BF 109 is...

Vitor Costa

There have been rumors about Tamiya releasing one of the iconic Luftwaffe birds in 32-scale, but I don't know that I would count on that (watch, the moment I pull out my FW-190 A-6 they'll release one). And Zoukei-Mura has been discussing a line of FWs for some months (again, not sure when they will actually reach modelers as they have not been shown to my knowledge at any modeling show yet).

So with all that as preamble, I would recommend one of the better Hasegawa kits. I say that with no great enthusiasm because I frankly don't like Hasegawa kits. They are highly-simplified on the innards, and require usually a lot of aftermarket stuff to bring them up to what you get OOB with Tamiya. Their shapes are generally pretty good, but you'll want a resin cockpit, wheel wells, spinner and propeller blades (for the 109), and resin wheels. There are other upgrades you can get like brass barrels, Radu Brinzan's seat belts, etc. This was my take on their G:

featurepicture.jpg

In all honesty, you'll probably pay ABOUT the same for a new Tamiya or ZM kit as you will for a Hase with all the bells and whistles.

And some guys and gals build them right OOB and are happy. It's all up to you and what level of detail you require.

Edited by Bill Cross

So for an early war, "Luftwaffe ascendant" model, it's Eduard or Dragon? Does the dragon kit include any PE like Eduards?

Right ... So, the answer is: Yes and No ...

Yes the kit includes PE and I've attached a link to an IPMS USA that has various sprue shots listed so you can have a better look. OOB it really is very well detailed.

No ... In that only the Eduard Profipack kit has the level of detail/options that are in anyway comparable.

If you are building an E-1 and can get a hold of a Profipack kit relatively cheaply (like I did) ... go with that option.

Otherwise the E-3/E-4 Cyber Hobby kits will be your best bet.

So where can you get the Cyber Hobby E4? Anywhere online in Canada or the US? I'm just about finished the old Hasegawa E4 in 48th, and it has always been one of my favorites.

Pretty much anywhere, really ... You might be able to get it (complete with shipping) for less out of Hong Kong or China!

Shop around!

Rog :)

** Annnnnnd - I forgot to post the link!!! I'll get onto it when I get home later **

Edited by Artful69

That's a really pretty Italian bird Bill!  One of those is on my horizon...

My fingers are crossed for a Tamiya 109G in 1/32.  I can't imagine they're going to let all that research and engineering go to waste on just one 1/48 kit (despite the fact that they'll be selling those by the case lot forever more).

Thanks, Jennings, I appreciate the kind words. The Stormo decals are very good for Regia Aeronautica aircraft.

• 2 weeks later...

So where can you get the Cyber Hobby E4? Anywhere online in Canada or the US? I'm just about finished the old Hasegawa E4 in 48th, and it has always been one of my favorites.

This thread inspired me to have a crack at one of the Dragon Bf-109s.

I haven't been able to find the E4 anywhere; production seems to have moved on to the E4b Jabo kit.

I went with the E3 from Scale Hobbyist in Nashua, New Hampshire, which has all the parts needed to build any of the variants if you like, including the E7.

I am probably going to do it as an E4 so I can use a decal scheme I have left over from the Eduard kit.

This thread inspired me to have a crack at one of the Dragon Bf-109s.

I haven't been able to find the E4 anywhere; production seems to have moved on to the E4b Jabo kit.

I went with the E3 from Scale Hobbyist in Nashua, New Hampshire, which has all the parts needed to build any of the variants if you like, including the E7.

I am probably going to do it as an E4 so I can use a decal scheme I have left over from the Eduard kit.

The E-4B and E-4 kits are the same, except the E-4B has some additional parts for the B, so a straight Bf 109E-4 can easily be built from the E-4B kit.

Another option for a 109G-14 (which looks much like a G-6) is the 21st Century Toys kit. I missed these when they were originally available at bargain prices but have snaffled a few on eBay at under £20 recently. They need a bit of work filling sink marks etc. but the pilot figure and decals are brilliant and as I hardly ever see Hasegawa 1/32 at shows or in UK shops, they are a viable option for me.

• 4 years later...
On 3/10/2018 at 11:57 PM, Wegener said:

Another option for a 109G-14 (which looks much like a G-6) is the 21st Century Toys kit. I missed these when they were originally available at bargain prices but have snaffled a few on eBay at under £20 recently. They need a bit of work filling sink marks etc. but the pilot figure and decals are brilliant and as I hardly ever see Hasegawa 1/32 at shows or in UK shops, they are a viable option for me.

Moreover, the balance horns missing in the kit are now available from Barracuda.