P51 D cockpit colors

Guest Ta152H1

Guest Ta152H1

Ok guys,

please don' hit too hard :DodgeBall: ...be gentle on a guy that can barely use his cell phone...let alone the LSP search engine! :please:

Last night I've started working on my Tamiya P51 D.I've built the engine (never seen such a brilliantly engeneered piece of modeling art in my whole life...too bad it'll remain invisible for I've decided to button it up!) and I'm currently building the cockpit using Roy's gorgeous resin sets.Could anybody point me in the right direction as far as the right colors (the greens I mean!) are concerned?

TIA

Cheers

Lou

Guest Ta152H1

Thanks John...I've just put aside the right green(s) for the IG,but could you please tell me if it would be right to paint thge seat Bronze Green or Duill Dark green?I've printed the IPMS Stockolm color conversion chart and it shouldn't be a problem to "brew" the right hues!

TIA

Lou

Lou,

Depends what seat you're referring to. Some of the early P-51Ds used the earlier Schick-Johnson seat which was sometimes seen in Bronze Green (some will say DDG as well), but has also been seen in IG.

For the later P-51Ds, and a good number of early ones as well, the typical seat used was the later Warren-McArthur seat which was always (?) painted IG.

The only way to be sure is to know what your particular aircraft was fitted with... not always easy or available. If it was a later block (-10NA and onward) chances are it used the later Warren McArthur seat.

HTH,

Marc B.

Edited by modelmkr

Guest Ta152H1

John,thanks again!Mark...thanks for weighing in!I'm going to build a 10-block (Capt.Whisner's "Moonbeam McSwine" S/N 44-14237),therefore a Warren will be the seat of choice!

Cheers

Lou

All good advice from the prior respondents. There isn't much you can do about it unless you care to paint the outline around the primary flight instruments on the instrument panel, but it should be white, not yellow. Black floors were the rule as was pointed out earlier. The use of DDG or IG on interior surfaces is not clearly understood or documented. Either will do. The armor plate was finished black from a line level with the canopy rail upwards. The lower section of the plate was DDG or IG. This is taken from NAA factory photos of the plate. The color line on the plate, as shown in NAA Documents, indicates that it was not a hard masked line. If at some point this was changed, I don't know. Clearly it could have been. Also, the NAA finishing spec, for the area above the upper most longeron, to be finished black. This too could have changed but if it did (leaving all interior surfaces DDG or IG) is unknown.

HTH

Geoff

Here we go again. This will never end.

Geoff(Ironwing) is quoting the approved builders and govt specs for this a/c. This was not the war ravaged Luftwaffe here and the American aircraft industry had plenty of raw materials and always followed the specs or the govt inspectors/receivers would not accept the goods. So you can't say that a shortage caused the floor to be painted a different color,etc.

Where do we keep getting this conflicting info? Black painted cockpits? HUH? Where did that come from? And the floors were painted black,not natural wood or green. Once again,do not rely on restoration airplanes as these are frequently painted to the wrong specs.

Unless all of this is just to get us reality police ticked off?

J

Guest Ta152H1

Hi gents,

great,unvaluable info...as it's always the case here!

I think that Interior green (including the seat) and a natural plywood( :wacko: ) floor painted with black antiskid paint would do as far as the cockpit is concerned but I've got another question concerning the interior and no...it's not about the wheel wells! :D

Would be ok to paint the superecharger cooler area inside the fuselage yellow zinc chromate primer?

TIA

Lou

Would be ok to paint the superecharger cooler area inside the fuselage yellow zinc chromate primer?

If you're referring to the aftercooler for the fuel/air mixture (dual oil/fuel-air-mixture cooler), then it would probably be natural metal before and after the aftercooler radiator.

Guest Ta152H1

If you're referring to the aftercooler for the fuel/air mixture (dual oil/fuel-air-mixture cooler), then it would probably be natural metal before and after the aftercooler radiator.

Yes Tim...I'm referring to the aftercooler.Do you mean that the interior of the fuselage in that area was NM?

According to the E&R Manual (AN01-60JE-2, p. 406), the appropriate finish color coats for the pilot's compartment are as follows:

Metal floor areas: No finish coat required.

Wood floor areas: See Notes NOTES: One coat of SPEC NA2-1301 Non skid surfacer

Pilot's Seat: Dull Dark Green

Control Handles: Corrosion resistant, Cadmium or Zinc plated require no finish coat except for knobs finished in accordance with the applicable drawing

All other areas, STA 101 to STA 184: Interior Green NOTE: Areas not normally visible require no finish coat.

FYI: STA 101 is just about the forward end of the windscreen and STA 184 is just about the aft end of the sliding canopy (canopy closed).

Now, having posted that, it should not be construed to say that every P-51D you will ever see has been maintained to the manual. There may indeed be differences and if evidence surfaces that provides for other alternatives, then you have another option. Of course, it's your model, you can paint it day-glo pink if you should choose to. It won't be prototypically/historically correct but it's your model.

Edited by TimC

Yes Tim...I'm referring to the aftercooler.Do you mean that the interior of the fuselage in that area was NM?

Yep, Natural Metal. The E&R manual states that areas not accessible such as the inside of the scoop (under the fuselage) can remain unpainted.

P-51B_Factory_Photo.png

This is a shot of production P-51B fueslage halves...notice the natural metal behind the cockpit. The P-51D would be very similar.

REF: O'Leary, Michael. (2010). Building the P-51 Mustang, The Story of Manufacturing North American's Legendary WWII Fighter in Original Photos. Specialty Press. MN. p.112

Edited by TimC

According to the E&R Manual (AN01-60JE-2, p. 406), the appropriate finish color coats for the pilot's compartment are as follows:

Metal floor areas: No finish coat required.

Wood floor areas: See Notes NOTES: One coat of SPEC NA2-1301 Non skid surfacer

Pilot's Seat: Dull Dark Green

Control Handles: Corrosion resistant, Cadmium or Zinc plated require no finish coat except for knobs finished in accordance with the applicable drawing

All other areas, STA 101 to STA 184: Interior Green NOTE: Areas not normally visible require no finish coat.

FYI: STA 101 is just about the forward end of the windscreen and STA 184 is just about the aft end of the sliding canopy (canopy closed).

My approximation of STA 101 and 184....

IMAG1334.jpg

And my stab at fabbing a Warren-McArthur seat then painted DDG aka FS34092 (for an approximate match, from what I have read)

IMAG1386.jpg