A Spitfire question...

RLWP

Interesting.  The deep chin, as you know, housed a larger oil tank.  It was present on the PR type C and type F, but as far as I can find, not on the PR IV.  This had the extra oil tank housed in one of the redundant gun bays in the wing.

Are you sure that the profiles showing the "deep chin" are not showing a Vokes filter?  Some PR IVs certainly had those.

It isn't the Vokes filter, I can recognise that. I may be misunderstanding the profiles, or they are misidentified. Not using the deep chin means not having to buy one or modify the kit - which is good

Thanks for that, I was just on the edge of giving up faced with confusing information and expensive books. I have the kit, so it costs nothing, I don't want to spend a fortune or commit myself to complicated mods if possible. That way lies another item on the shelf of doom. A bit of modification, opening a few camera holes and a different paint scheme is more likely to get the kit done

Richard

Edited by RLWP

Or this?:

spitfire-pr-mk-iv.jpg

http://spitfiresite.com/2010/04/supermarine-spitfire-variants-the-initial-merlin-powered-line.html/2

Apparently a PR.IV with the enlarged nose...

I'd prefer an all grey or blue scheme, so that one is out

Richard

Sorry, that's a PR type C.  The large bulge under the wing gives it away: one side housed the cameras, the other side was a fuel tank.  The Spitfire Production List shows it as a "PR III" which tends to reinforce that.  I've followed the link, I'm surprised that site has captioned this a/c as a PR IV. 

And 109 experten think they have it tough! :BANGHEAD2:   :)

Sorry, that's a PR type C.  The large bulge under the wing gives it away: one side housed the cameras, the other side was a fuel tank.  The Spitfire Production List shows it as a "PR III" which tends to reinforce that.  I've followed the link, I'm surprised that site has captioned this a/c as a PR IV. 

And 109 experten think they have it tough! :BANGHEAD2:   :)

I'm not in the least bit surprised, Mike. 

Richard

Hi Richard,

I think the Morgan Shacklady book is one of the few Spitfire Books I've not come across or owned yet! - Alfred Price is an author well worth looking at for general Spitfire history - especially his Spitfire, A Complete Fighting History book

Specifically, the Data File book from SAM Productions has a short chapter on the PR variants as well as some great drawings of the details - it also has a set of schematics that plot all the various minor tweaks and changes between each variant. Not any/many PR profiles - I think they have one of the early pink ones. Worth buying a copy if you like your Spits but if you send me a PM I'd be happy to scan and send these pertinent pages to you from my copy.

I recommend On Target Profiles 8 - Photo reconnaissance Spitfire in Worldwide Service by Jon Freeman from The Aviation Workshop Publications Ltd is a great one stop reference with lots of great PR profiles, about half Merlins, half Griffons  - picked up my copy for £5 at Telford a couple of years ago.

Cheers, Torben

Edited by TorbenD

I recommend On Target Profiles 8 - Photo reconnaissance Spitfire in Worldwide Service by Jon Freeman from The Aviation Workshop Publications Ltd is a great one stop reference with lots of great PR profiles, about half Merlins, half Griffons  - picked up my copy for £5 at Telford a couple of years ago.

Cheers, Torben

It may have gone up a bit: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/offer-listing/1904643159/ref=tmm_hrd_used_olp_sr?ie=UTF8&condition=used&qid=&sr=

• 2 weeks later...

So...

I now have the Modellers Datafile, which is a good starting point. The typo for Chapter 1 on the contents page amused me - the curse of computers

There's some good stuff in there for the Spitfire MK.I/II and detail stuff on the camera installations if I can enlarge and disentangle it

What I now need are details of the wing on the MK.IV, and to find an example to model - where should I look for that?

Richard

Hi Richard,

I think the Morgan Shacklady book is one of the few Spitfire Books I've not come across or owned yet! - Alfred Price is an author well worth looking at for general Spitfire history - especially his Spitfire, A Complete Fighting History book

Specifically, the Data File book from SAM Productions has a short chapter on the PR variants as well as some great drawings of the details - it also has a set of schematics that plot all the various minor tweaks and changes between each variant. Not any/many PR profiles - I think they have one of the early pink ones. Worth buying a copy if you like your Spits but if you send me a PM I'd be happy to scan and send these pertinent pages to you from my copy.

Cheers, Torben

Warwickshire libraries have the Morgan/Shacklady book so I've requested it. The 'Wings of Fame journal, Vol 5' is pretty available, e.g. on Ebay

The 'On Target Profiles 8' and Ventura books are elusive except at eyewatering prices

Richard