1/32 Tamiya F4U-1a Corsair - Mid Point

John F Smith

John, here's a question for you......

My Corsair is at the stage of yours except I haven't fixed tail fin or tail planes.

Everything is built and ready including outer wings, all flaps and gear

Not sure if to spray now and then fix flaps etc etc after or bolt her together and

spray, several guys seem to do it both ways. That's my dilemma.........

Any help would be welcome........

Phil

Hi Phil,

I'm not sure that I have a very good answer to your question, but here goes.

I've not fixed my tail fin or tail planes either, they are only fitted for the photographs. You see I have been struggling with the same question myself. It seems to me that whichever approach you choose, there is going to be a lot of masking involved. Unless, of course you have better freehand control than I in the area of spraying straight lines, managing overspray, and other (to me, anyway) advanced airbrush techniques. My intent is to paint the sub assemblies creating soft lines with raised masks and using the scribed lines on the aircraft for "hard" demarcations. But I'm sure open to thinking about assembling, priming, and painting the whole airframe, too, which was Peter's (another LSPer) approach

Could you weigh in on this topic, Peter, if you are reading?

John

Guest Peterpools

Hi John & Phil

John knows me like a book and when I built my Corsair, as my normal procedure, the vertical stabilizer rudder, horizontal stabilizers and elevators were all glued in place, allowing any fit issues to be taken care prior to priming. I also prefer to install the flap as well. In the Corsairs case, I had the wings folded, so they were painted off the model but at the same time. I just find it easier to take care of seam and any small fit issues before painting. Somehow, parts fit well before painting but the fit afterwards never seems to be the same for me.

PCW_0685_zps6878571c.jpg

The outer wings completed and left off until the last stages

PCW_0630_zps6a9b2d09.jpg

Edited by Peterpools

John / Peter

Thanks for the thoughts, there is no easy answer to this one as you said John.

I agree with both of you.........I must admit adding liquid cement to a fully top coated

model scares me...........I think I am going for, add everything bar the u/c and going for it........

Wish me luck..........I think.......

• 2 months later...

I don't know if this is still relevant, but on the two Corsairs i've built so far, i left off the flaps, ailerons, tailplanes, and rudder until i get the camo pattern finalized. The two areas that are hardest to paint (well) are the areas beneath the tail planes, and the lower fuselage right behind the trailing edge of the wing where the intermediate blue transitions into the white.

Leaving the inboard flaps off allows you to fine-tune the separation without the flap acting as an unwanted paint mask, throwing off the separation.

The actual F4U at final assembly was primed in yellow zinc chromate primer. The outer wing panels, flaps, rudder, vertical fin, ailerons, and horizontal stabs arrived on the final assembly line as completed and pre-painted units, so the majority of the paint work done at final assembly was painting the fuselage and center wing segment to "blend it in with the rest of the airplane", which is why you see  non spec sea blue over spray on the base of the vertical fin, on the undersides of the wings around the wing fold line, etc. The horizontal stabs fit well enough that you shouldn't need to fill the joint and gluing them on late in the game should be easy to do. Cleanup should be minimal.

I DO recommend putting little bits of making tape on the trailing edges of the wing where the ailerons go, since those tips are unprotected and have a tendency to hook onto things and possibly break off. Same problem goes for the Tamiya P-51D.

Hope this helps.

-d-

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks David, just picked the Corsair up again and having purchased new brush and compressor

I am ready to go........

On the point of outer wings, did you fix them to the spar or just leave the panels as a slide fit. My only concern

is keeping the witness line consistent as in the real plane?

Any pointers gratefully recieved.........

Hi Phil,

I glued my outer wing panels on, since i needed to do a progressive evolution of spot gluing the get the lower inner and outer wing surfaces level and flat with each other. Tamiya actually engineered that .010 gap along the upper wing "break" line on purpose, as far as i can tell. If built correctly its pretty consistent from left to right wings. If the upper surfaces are not absolutely, perfectly level with each other, not really a deal breaker; not that obtrusive.

-d-

David.

Come to the same conclusion to get the outer and inner to be flat with each other it has to be glued.

The differential is minuscule but I know it will bug the hell out of me.

Just about there, cleaned off all sprues as double check.......tally Ho and thanks for the advice.....

Hi Phil,

Mine is in a holding pattern right now.  Other priorities got in the way for a while, but I'm planning on making a "start" to finish it in the next couple of weeks.

Many thanks to both you and Dave for the fine suggestions on the painting process for the Corsair.

John