Trumpeter 1/32 MiG-29A - first Pics

Scotsman

This kit is good for two reasons: first, it's a modern kit of a MiG-29 Fulcrum A which has seen a great range of interesting colour schemes; and, second, it shows Trumpeter are still in the 1/32 game.

As for 1/48, you can have the best of both worlds. Just beware of the irresistible recent flurry of VVS and PVO jets in that scale: Fishbeds, Fishpots, Maiden, Foxbat, Foxhounds, Flankers, Sea Flankers, Fullback and Firebar with a Brewer, more Foxbats and Fitters on the way. And firms like Master are producing incredible brass and resin pitots, Eduard are still at it and AMK doing their own accessory boxes.

I'm also quite chuffed about the MiG-29UB two-seater being next up in the quartet.

Tony

Hello,

first I have to apologize for posting the picture with "some green and red lines". I friend of me called my attention of pointing out these mistakes. I think other modelers have the right to know that someting is not correct with the new kit before spending a huge ammount of money.

Of course I will buy the kit, I need a few of them. I am a modeler and I will try to fix the problems. It is sad to put some extra time and money in the kit to correct the issues. But I will do it.

But what I don´t understand is, why mistakes like this can happen in 2017 with all the great scanning-computer-technique out there? The manufacter can have access to MiG-29 in museums and they are still active. And there are tons of pictures online and it is easy to compare them with the kit. I really hope the displayed model at Nürnberg is not the final product we get later...

Sorry to the forum and Trumpeter for bashing the new MiG...

Stephan

Hi Stephan,

No problems from my POV - most of us are grateful to see glaring errors pointed out. The problem is the knocking brigade who take pleasure in saying Trumpeter have goofed again, whereas a quick clinical analysis shows any problems to be relatively easy to rectify.

There's a lot about that kit which looks spectacular, and many of us have been hankering after a quality early Fulcrum for a very long time.

I hope Cold War Studio in Sofia can make a quick fix of some small resin parts.

And I know I'll be in a minority (of maybe one) who would be pleased to see rubber tyres.

Tony

I hope Cold War Studio in Sofia can make a quick fix of some small resin parts.

I think Stanislav (C.W.S.) will going to be very busy next months  :D

Of course I will buy the kit, I need a few of them. I am a modeler and I will try to fix the problems. It is sad to put some extra time and money in the kit to correct the issues. But I will do it.

same here  :doh:

As I alway loved Fulcrum when my wallet allow me I'll take one of each version (A / C / E), only one considering there will be MUCH work to do on each one.

Edited by Luca

from this point of view the engine gondoles seem to be too spaced between them (or too tight themselves), just curious to see a plain view with nozzles on... but maybe it is only an impression.

Luftwaffe, ex DDR or Czech are all stunning liveries concercning the 9.12, choose only one will be tough!

Edited by Luca

Guest Airfixer
[...]

But what I don´t understand is, why mistakes like this can happen in 2017 with all the great scanning-computer-technique out there? The manufacter can have access to MiG-29 in museums and they are still active. And there are tons of pictures online and it is easy to compare them with the kit. I really hope the displayed model at Nürnberg is not the final product we get later...

[...]

We will never know, Stephan...

Trumpeter's research and development process is a true Chinese mystery. However, there are instances where a kit's flaws can be traced back to their source of origin. E.g. Trumpeter's MiG-23 family...

Even so...

Proper references, human expertise/input, competent CAD draftsmen, cutting edge moulding technology and a dedicated review process will not necessarily result in a "correct" kit. Particularly, if the manufacturer's management is in constant fear of missing release schedules and projected cost targets...

Erik

I am very excited. In truth, I always wanted to see a Mig 29 in RAAF markings. maybe with magpies on the fins...

I'll complain about insignificant issues once I'm good enough to rig a WnW's model. :)

Actually no, by that time I will be able to correct tiny mistakes.

I also think it is great we are getting more unusual types.

I keep going on about the lack of Val's and Kate's and Sam's....

Anyway there's too many rivets to count. And there are better things in life to do. IMO at least.

Guest Clunkmeister

I apologize for my point maybe lighting a fire?  I did mean VVS subjects because thanks to my friend Martin awakening a long dormant fire in me, I have begun to once again really appreciate the designs from the former Soviet Union.

Plus, with the east now open to us and information and people now flowing freely, we here in the west are now exposed to the truly heroic actions of the men and women in the VVS through several wars. Their losses in WW2 almost make ours pale in comparison..

From the early designs, to copying western designs, to developing and producing truly great aircraft, we finally have some decent models of these aircraft, and to Trumpeter and others, I'm grateful.

One of my other points was that personally, I've been reevaluating my available space, and of the modern jets I have or want to build, an F-105G, F-15, F-15, CF-100, CF-105, F-18, F-16, A-7, F-100D, F-8, Su-27, MiG-29, and Su-22 will take up acres of space.  I just was openly mulling a smaller scale for modern fighter jets that are as big or bigger than some old time airliners and bombers...

I'm painfully aware of the Revell kit shortcomings, but I already have all the Zacto goodies, plus the Cold War Studio cockpit, and I'd hate to just waste them, especially on a kit that might have its own issues.

same here. But I'll buy at least one (9.12) because I want to make a comparison between the two kits.

again, for a SMT bird (9.19) Trumpy will be the only game in town (as mr. Zacto does not make the spine).

p.s. was Malaysian the only SMT exported?

16kak52.jpg

Edited by Luca

Having skimmed over all the yelling back and forth... I'm psyched for this kit! Not 100% accurate? Doesn't matter to me, I'm just happy to have the option to soon have one that is (likely) pretty well engineered and easy to build, and looks "close enough" to the real thing for my tastes.  Now, to decide between the multiple awesome paint schemes.... Maybe the Foxbot digital camo option  :thumbsup: