Two 1/48 quickies

LSP_Kevin

Well, as part of my modelling resolutions for 2011, I decided I was going to try to build more models than I have been of late, and to rely heavily on the KISS principle. To that end, here are two 1/48 109s I started the Monday before Christmas, and finished yesterday. I had intended to get them done even more quickly than that, but the Airfix rebuild required quite a bit of TLC (directly contradicting my aforementioned KISS motto!). Nevertheless, they're a bit rough in parts, and definitely not my best work!

So, first cab off the rank is Otaki's Bf 109G-6, dressed up as a post-war Finnish bird using an ancient Ventura sheet:

DSCF2493.jpg

DSCF2487.jpg

DSCF2488.jpg

DSCF2496.jpg

The idea with these builds was to do as little extra work as possible, and just have fun getting them done quickly, and without sweating on all that AMS stuff. This one however did receive a new DF loop out of fuse wire. I also drilled out the gun ports and fashioned gun barrels from styrene rod, and modified the tyres so they didn't look quite so much like they came of a Russian tractor.

Next up is a rebuild of an old Airfix Bf 109F I had on the shelves from 20 or so years ago. Here's the original build:

Airfix109F1.jpg

Not very pretty at all! I screwed up the dihedral and canopy, and the kit decals were awful. It was also one of my first attempts with an airbrush - an old single-action siphon-feed fire hose that I've still got laying around somewhere.

After stripping the paint, disassembling the model and starting again, I managed to come up with this:

DSCF2501.jpg

DSCF2502.jpg

DSCF2489.jpg

This one required quite a bit more work, partly because the disassembly didn't go too well, but also because I decided to rescribe it. In my keenness to ensure I didn't repeat my previous mistake with the dihedral, I over-compensated and now it's too flat! :rolleyes: The rudder was removed and repositioned, and the decals are from SuperScale. The ETC rack is actually from the Otaki kit!

I used ProModeller's weathering wash for the first time on both these models. I also broke out my new* Iwata airbrush and used it in anger for the first time.

So, with two models down for 2011, and a third one (Otaki Fw 190) mostly assembled, I've already equalled 2010's output! I go back to work on the 13th, so let's see what I can get done!

Kev

Lovely couple of builds there Kev!

The before and after shots of the Airfix 109 are just stunning. I wouldn't have believed they were the same kit.

Be careful mate you will be taking Keith's "Re-animator" title!!!

Phil :clap2: :clap2:

Brilliant work Kev - Just waht the doctor ordered! (as stated, it is hard to believe that the second 109 is not a different kit). It just goes to show how a mundane kit can be made to look markedly better with very minimal 'tweaking'...Well done

:goodjob:

Derek