Revell 1:144 767 - Delta Airlines

LSP_K2

Loooootsa work!!  Wow!

Not too bad, really, just prep time to ensure the paint looks good. Airliners can actually be pretty easy to slam together, which is one of the reasons I like them. I built one Delta 767 a few years ago, then utterly ruined it by coating it with polyurethane. Darn shame too, as it was really looking pretty snazzy, if I do say so myself.

Looks cool!

Being unfamiliar with, and having never actually owned nor built an airliner, what is the purpose of completely sanding the passenger windows down? Do they sit unnaturally/unrealistically inside from the exterior surface of the fuselage? 

Yes, as a general rule, they typically have sink marks in the glass, and almost never fit flush. In addition to that, when using window decals (which I will be using), any dimples in the window openings, will be reflected in the decals, so smoothing them over is needed, especially if the model is to go into a contest, which this one will be.

I've seen some modelers use Elmer's or similar to fill in each and every window (after glass installation) for a glass like effect, but this is really my preferred method. Nazca makes some really nice alternative window decals, that portray random windows with shades partially or fully closed, but I'll be going with this old ATP sheet on this bird.

pVv5kr.jpg

Looks cool!

Being unfamiliar with, and having never actually owned nor built an airliner, what is the purpose of completely sanding the passenger windows down? Do they sit unnaturally/unrealistically inside from the exterior surface of the fuselage? 

There's also the issue that many airlines order different passenger configurations, which can mean that the window count (though usually not placement) can be different between airlines. And sometimes the size, shape, number, or placement of window openings on the kit isn't accurate either. It's often easier just to fill them all and use decals, especially in smaller-scale kits. And many decals will come with the window details built in to the cheat line decals, so at that point you really have no choice. But as has been highlighted in this thread already, it can be quite difficult to eliminate all evidence of the previous openings. I'll have to give Jennings' technique a go myself some day.

Kev

Just for giggles, I thought I'd take a few snaps of the 1:100 767 kit to compare with my 1:144 version. The difference is really quite substantial, especially when one takes into consideration that the 1:100 kit represents a -200, which is considerably shorter than the -300 that the 1:144 kit represents. To build the big Doyusha kit as a -300, would be huge, but totally cool too.

Unfortunately, the 1:100 kit is no longer mine, as I gave it away in a moment of weakness (and have regretted it ever since), but my pal let me borrow it to take these snaps.

My 1:100 L-1011 is virtually the same size as this monster, and I'll be keeping it, no matter what.

0XaWNN.jpg

6zC5nJ.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Work continues (albeit at a snail's pace), on this model, now re-scribing some panel lines that were lost during the cleanup process. I'm hoping to have primer on it by this weekend, and that's bound to show all of the botched areas that I'm currently unaware of.

Dn68CP.jpg