Trumpeter's SBD-1 UPDATE: 2/18/18: THE GEAR: DONE

Guest Peterpools

Peter-

As I have said before, I am a fan of your work. This Dauntless is going to be a great completion for you. I am really looking forward to the next installment-

And, just for the record.....Don't go disappearing again......And get Joel's tail back here as well.

It just is not the same without you here!

Keep em coming! Awesome work!

THOR     :ninja:

Guest Peterpools

Thanks Thor, much appreciated.

Just wish I didn't spent so much time on the never ending hidden details and assemblies but they are done and moving on.

Just about finished adding the cowl/engine assemblies s there is a ton of tweaking needed to get everything to fit and stay square. Of course, more filler and sanding - oh what fun.

Hopefully an update by the end of the week

Peter

Guest Peterpools

Thanks Andre

Been tinkering and tweaking the cowl assemblies and finally have them on and in place. Of course a few new small seams to fill but at least she looks like a Dauntless now.

Peter

Guest Peterpools

Update:2/1/18: COMING TOGETHER

After moaning over the time spent carefully assembling and painting all the parts and details hidden away behind the bulkhead and inside the rear cowling, it was time to move on, as my contest deadline is now less then 60 days away.

It was time to add the complete cowling/engine assembly to the fuselage.

Mental Note to an Old Guy: This assembly would be critical in holding the front sections of the fuselage in place and a near perfect fit would be the order of the day.

A good few hours were spent tweaking the fit of the rear cowling to the fuselage and when the fit was as good as it was going to get, the assembly was glued into place with more then enough Extra Thin, taped securely to remain square and true and left to dry for a good 24 plus hours.

Next up was more tweaking to have the front cowl fitting just as square and securely to the the rear cowl assembly. Once I was happy with the fit, more Extra Thin was called into play, parts taped and left to dry.

Then the upper cowling assembly needed tweaking so that the fit would be pretty good. Of course the twin machine guns were a bit of a pain and after some coaxing, finally allowed the last of the cowling parts to be glued in. There are a few gaps and seams that now need to be taken care of and some rivets restored to the wing fairings. There was a little step on each side of the wing faring that were filled in with Milliput and then Bondo, gentle sanded and now the fit is smooth and blends nicely in.

Thanks for checking in

Next up: replacing the lost rivets, painting the gear: strutsm wheels and those lovely rubber skinny tires.

Peter

YwrTFQ.jpg

zhpmAj.jpg

p8pzQv.jpg

p9ioP1.jpg

TrKytJ.jpg

ZNvrJL.jpg

One sign that I look for in a build is when I start to follow progress due to the quality of the build itself- especially if the subject itself isn't if interest to me.

You've done that in spades! Such consistent, painstaking work to date. Really looking forward to seeing the end result.

Me like what I see! Nice job on the wing to fuse join and that cowling looks great! Carb intake came out nicely.

Still waiting for those MV lenses to finish mine, but my deadline is May so plenty of time!

Keep it coming!

Guest Peterpools

Greg

Thank you for the very kind comments on the Dauntless build. Moving along a little at a time and always reminding myself not to change or add anything to the kit, as per the contest rules

Peter