Tigger (ID Models) Ki-45 Nick Vac - DONE !!!!!

Thomas Lund

Auch, closing time is creeping up on me... Earlier I made good progress with this one, but had to put it aside to finish something else for a competition. I'm back

First - the state of the project

LfxdGti.jpg

The surface looks like that because when scribing I used a Dymo tape as guide and it kept ripping off the primer. Will sand and level it before painting.

So... the state is:

Scribing almost done

J8QsJWV.jpg

Gear and wheels done

0nbOA1Y.jpg

Propellers and spinners done. Spinners were a major PITA. I tried a million ways of doing them and eventually ended up with having my friend 3D print them to get good locations for the prop blades. They were very coarse, so i had to fill and sand many times before I was happy with them. I drilled out the holes and added Bf109F blades - that I think looked the closest to the photos - and a small pipe thingie in the tip of the spinner. Painting to come, but done !!

iIisNPx.jpg

Ailerons, elevators and rudder finished save for actuators. Gear doors are the only thing I haven't touched at all

3JhkWuF.jpg

ZK089a9.jpg

Transparancies are underway...

FEsc9X3.jpg

Another thing I've redone several times is the landing light in the nose. First attempt was super - very clear etc, but it was so clear that it was obvious that I had done a bad job at doing the 'lamp' behind it. After several attempts, all with each their flaw, this is the last one. I'll leave it at that nomatter how it turns out. All the failed attempts made me cut of a bit of the nose. I used a large part of a transparent toothbrush - sanded flat on the back side and a 'lamp' painted on. To come is the shaping and polishing.

A bit of product placement, eh?

e9Ke2I5.jpg

So... will I make it to the 30th ? Don't think so, but it IS getting very close indeed.

• 1 month later...

Hey admins - will ya move this one to work in progress ??

Actually it's getting there. Finished scribing and all sorts of details and eventually final assembly. Just before christmas I put on a primer coat to find flaws. A lot fewer than expected. These has been corrected and a new coat of primer is on... still  a few things to fix, but damn, it's almost there...

Focusing on a black primered plane screws up the white balance, but I kept the images since they show the surface nicely

6dvGcB8.jpg

tZ0pMO3.jpg

K3DZgev.jpg

• 5 weeks later...

Allright - getting there. Finally finished correcting all the surface flaws, so now it's final painting.

Painted the national markings, the white areas around it and the yellow leading edge. Final masking on

eSlFJPs.jpg

And the overall light grey is on - ready for the green spots... exciting !!!

8RSg3vT.jpg

Wow nice! I love the plane, but am still quite leery of vacs.   :frantic:     I have a combat models F7F in the stash (HORRIBLE vac pull though) and plan on making it a what-if Reno racer, but have not had the courage to pull it out yet. 

This is turning out really lovely, and cant wait to see it will color on it!