Roden's Albatros D.III: Weathering, U/C, and some Rigging

Gazzas

Hi Gaz,

Good question.

For control rigging I suggest 1.5 or 2mm in length.

Cheers!

Von B

Richard,

Cheers old bean!

Von BB

PS. Gaz.... Please, if possible, can you order early in the new year? I've got my work cut out at the mo and with the holiday season just around the corner I will need a wee rest. Cheers!

Merry Chrimbo.

Edited by Bobs Buckles

Hi Gaz,

Good question.

For control rigging I suggest 1.5 or 2mm in length.

Cheers!

Von B

Richard,

Cheers old bean!

Von BB

PS. Gaz.... Please, if possible, can you order early in the new year? I've got my work cut out at the mo and with the holiday season just around the corner I will need a wee rest. Cheers!

Merry Chrimbo.

No Problem!  Have a Merry Christmas!

Gaz

Merry Christmas to one and all!

Been working on the True Details Mercedes D.III.  The level of detail between the kit Mercedes and the True Details engine is remarkable.  Lifters, springs, and rockers are all better and will show once the model is closed up and complete.  I'm less worried about the details that will be buried.

My only upgrade was to tape the pipes that deliver the fuel-air mixture to the cylinders.  While reading the Smithsonian's restoration of the D. V "Stropp" I learned of this little detail years ago.  Amazed it's still retained in the old brain-box.  I probably would have been better served to have thinned the pipes before I applied the tape.

b_161825.jpg

I bought some 1mm tape from Hobby Tools Australia some time ago.  Don't use it often, but it has proven handy here.

The parts suffered a fall due to my clumsiness and I had to replace some that got lost with kit parts.  Again, these are buried once closed up, so I replaced them out of duty and less out of a need to actually have them there.  Besides...  I rarely even build engines...much less detail.

b_161847.jpg

The red line points out the motor mount that was destroyed in the fall.  A lifter was also broken off, but was found...amazingly.

The yellow lines indicate a 3d paint called Tulip Slick.  It's a cloth paint that I use to fill when I don't want to sand.  Just squeeze it into the area and leave or wipe off with a wet cotton bud (or q-tip).  I used some between the cylinder heads and the crank case.

I hope you all have a lovely holiday season!

Gaz

Guest Peterpools

Gaz

Super start on the Mercedes engine and here I thought I was the only one capable of dropping such large parts. Glad you were able to to do the needed repairs and moving on.

Thanks for the tip on using Tulip Stick - always room for another filler that actually works!

Keep ‘em comin

Peter

Some of the Albatros turnbuckles have a distinct ball shaped end. The pic is a D.Va, but the turnbuckles are the same. There are a few walkarounds on the net, I can recommend Koliman Meyrhofer's website, he makes full size replicas of D.III's.

BTW, gaspatch have nice Albatros style turnbuckles.

https://i1011.photobucket.com/albums/af234/Jamo_kiwi/Albatros%20DV/AlbDVadetails1.jpg

For my quiet time:  While SWMBO sleeps and after the hound has been walked, I took some time to peruse the kit parts a bit.  To my horror, I discovered that the Teves und Braun radiator is hosting some sink marks.  (red arrows)  I'm going to try to replace the areas between the yellow areas with fine strips of card glued into place where I have to mill the material out.

b_084536.jpg

The purple arrows denote details from the attachment of the cabane struts.  Reckon they belong there?

After looking around further I discover I am missing a wing root fillet. (red arrow)

I'll use card and sprue goo to fashion a new fillet.  I think the original fillet has a sink mark.  (yellow arrow)

The green arrow denotes a broken part.  I can replace that with brass tube.

b_083816.jpg

On the positive side, the Fuselage parts look really good.  I've seen online builds where the cabane attachments are destroyed or molded poorly.  fortunately this isn't the case with mine.

Thanks for looking!

Gaz

Edited by Gazzas