#1022 dodgem37

dodgem37

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,673 posts

Posted 06 October 2017 - 09:01 AM

'because I’m starting to get really tired of anything F-15 and Eagle'

You and me both.  Ha!

Wonderful update, Chuck.  Everything is so beautifully rendered.  Photography is TOPS!  Great Show!!

Sincerely,

Mark

Edited by dodgem37, 06 October 2017 - 09:01 AM.

• chuck540z3 likes this

Works in Progress:   Italeri 1/35 PT596Tamiya P-51D, Sinai, 1956,

Completed WiP:  Erich Hartmann, Bf109G-14

Idle WiP:  Fw190A-5 Black 7 1/25th IDF Sho't, c.1982Bf109K-4, I./KG (J)6, BohemiaHungarian Bf109G-14, Bf109F-4/Z Trop,Shelf of DOOM!: Kawanishi N1K1 Kyofu Type 11 Rex , IDF AH-1 Tzefa FWerfer-Granate 21's,

Ready for Inspection: Erich Hartmann, Bf109G-14, Ludwig Franzisket, Bf109G-6

#1023 ScanmanDan

ScanmanDan

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,249 posts

Posted 06 October 2017 - 10:44 AM

First, Thank you for sharing your wonderful work.  It is always a joy and education to read of your posts and I never tire of your good humour, knowledge and superb craftsmanship.

But I was wondering how you do keep your interest and enjoyment high on these long builds.  Your work never suffers form a sense of being rushed or bored with your subject.  Your are builds last months, years and they get better and better.  Each with more chance for disaster or abandonment through disinterest or frustration. ( Multiple parts, details and fantastic finishes.)

Can you offer any advise or tips for those of us who are easily...

oh, look squirrel …. :)

distracted?

I hope your models bring you much joy.  Because I sure do like reading about them.

Dan

• chuck540z3 and Shaka HI like this

A day above ground is, in my opinion, a good day.  :D

#1024 chuck540z3

chuck540z3

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 998 posts

Posted 06 October 2017 - 01:46 PM

Thank you Gents!

First, Thank you for sharing your wonderful work.  It is always a joy and education to read of your posts and I never tire of your good humour, knowledge and superb craftsmanship.

But I was wondering how you do keep your interest and enjoyment high on these long builds.  Your work never suffers form a sense of being rushed or bored with your subject.  Your are builds last months, years and they get better and better.  Each with more chance for disaster or abandonment through disinterest or frustration. ( Multiple parts, details and fantastic finishes.)

Can you offer any advise or tips for those of us who are easily...

oh, look squirrel …. :)

distracted?

I hope your models bring you much joy.  Because I sure do like reading about them.

Dan

GOOD question, which I have been asked before:  How do I remain motivated after so many months on the very same project?  The answer is two-fold.

1)  Take a break from modeling once in awhile.  As mentioned several times earlier, I don't model that much in the summer, mostly because our Canadian summers are usually so short, spending time indoors robs myself and my family of outdoor activities while the weather is nice.  Same can be said of winter vacations, which I take fairly often.

2)  Treat sub-assemblies like mini-models all on their own and ignore the rest of the model.  The pods and missile above are little "models" and took a few weeks to create and are all quite different from each other.  The same can be said of the landing gear, cockpit, engine exhausts, etc.  I could and probably should be spending time on other parts and assemblies at the same time, but then modeling becomes an assembly line of work, rather than individual challenges to enjoy.

You may have noticed no decals on the main model while I made the sub-assemblies.  This is due to the above (2) and the need for practice decaling.  I think I'm pretty good at applying decals, but after a year (19 mths in this build) you get rusty and the decals on the pods and missile remind me of just how to apply decals properly.  Also, it gives me a chance to try different decals.  The Two Bobs decals are terrific, while the Wolfpack decals for the ELTA pod are really thick and hard to settle down.  The Tamiya decals that came with the kit (and the F-15E kit) are horrible (fall apart and thick), which is why I did not apply the lift line decals on the bottom of the fuel tanks, which are usually there, but thankfully not always.  None of the other decal sets have these fuel tank decals, so this is a case of "less is more", which has saved me future grief applying some Tamiya decals to the main fuselage.  The other thing I was able to experiment with is the application of gloss coat followed by a variety of flat coats to hide decal boundaries after proper application.  If I was doing all this at the same time on my model, I would likely have some flaws that I couldn't fix without a lot of extra work.

This weekend is our Canadian Thanksgiving, so I'm not touching this model for at least 5 days.  With all the turmoil in the world, which seems to be much, much more than usual lately, most of us have a great deal to be thankful for and we are very, very lucky.  Happy Thanksgiving! 

Cheers,

Chuck

• Uncarina, Dragon, Shaka HI and 3 others like this

Current Challenge:  1/32 Tamiya F-15C Aggressor

Pjybie.jpg

#1025 F`s are my favs

F`s are my favs

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 765 posts

Posted 06 October 2017 - 06:15 PM

Awesome big little small progress! Lovely details and top notch pods(parts :)) as always! These birds have only a little decals so the vista to the completely decalled plane is not so foggy though. It is a wonderful feeling to start applying something different(decals) for the first time after quite some time not doing it, undoubtedly. I used the Testor's decal setting solution on only some of these "bad" Tamiya decals, and the result was outrageous, really flawless. Which indeed was one of the biggest surprises for me. However, some decals I had to glue them with a super glue :)))) they just didn't want to bent onto the highly rounded curves of the details - the white/black bands along the hook are the first to recall. It's kinda funny, but super gluing thick decals sometimes works well.
  • chuck540z3 likes this

Untitled_1.jpg

#1026 chuck540z3

chuck540z3

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 998 posts

Posted 06 October 2017 - 10:34 PM

Awesome big little small progress! Lovely details and top notch pods(parts :)) as always! These birds have only a little decals so the vista to the completely decalled plane is not so foggy though. It is a wonderful feeling to start applying something different(decals) for the first time after quite some time not doing it, undoubtedly. I used the Testor's decal setting solution on only some of these "bad" Tamiya decals, and the result was outrageous, really flawless. Which indeed was one of the biggest surprises for me. However, some decals I had to glue them with a super glue :)))) they just didn't want to bent onto the highly rounded curves of the details - the white/black bands along the hook are the first to recall. It's kinda funny, but super gluing thick decals sometimes works well.

Super glue!? You are a brave man. Have you tried Future/Pledge? It will work too, but still allow removal if things go wrong.

Cheers,
Chuck
  • F`s are my favs likes this

Pjybie.jpg

#1027 A-10LOADER

A-10LOADER

Hooked For Life

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 400 posts

Posted 07 October 2017 - 12:00 AM

Beautiful, beautiful work as always Chuck. She's gonna look really sweet all finished up.

Got any advice for a 56 month 1 /18th scale Tomcat conversion ??!!  :frantic:

Happy Thanksgiving eh, enjoy.

Steve

• chuck540z3 likes this

#1028 chuck540z3

chuck540z3

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 998 posts

Posted 07 October 2017 - 02:18 AM

Thanks Steve EH! You made me laugh during a time in our world when it is hard to do so.

Thank you,
Chuck

Edited by chuck540z3, 07 October 2017 - 02:19 AM.

• A-10LOADER likes this

Pjybie.jpg

#1029 F`s are my favs

F`s are my favs

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 765 posts

Posted 07 October 2017 - 09:11 AM

Super glue!? You are a brave man. Have you tried Future/Pledge? It will work too, but still allow removal if things go wrong.

Cheers,
Chuck

Yep, super glue, just a little of course, but it works only on the "baddest/thickest/most persistent" decals. Now i remember that the decals on all the pylons of the landing gear were literally superglued as well. There is no option for adjustment of the decal once it touches the superglue, but at least it stays curved around the small diameter of the pylon. 

Whilst for the lacquering technique - i tried that one too, but it`s not enough. There is plenty of time to wait until the lacquer dries and throughout this time there is nothing to keep the decal steady laying over the surface. One touch and it moves, and the lacquer couldn`t set properly, and it could easily become a real mess. Yet i use this method only sometimes. 

• chuck540z3 likes this

Untitled_1.jpg

#1030 Lucio Martino

Lucio Martino

• LSP_Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 07 October 2017 - 09:37 AM

Chuck,

Let me thank you for all this happiness!
Nothing match your threads, both in terms of modelling and narrative. Keep going, I am altready dreaming about your forthcoming Spitfire...

I have a question: If I remember well you are using inexpensive micro drills for pins. Where do you buy them?
  • chuck540z3 likes this

#1031 Marcel111

Marcel111

Hooked For Life

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 442 posts

Posted 07 October 2017 - 02:05 PM

Aim-9's look absolutely superb!

Glad you have decided to throw a decent ECM pod on there... which you of course finished masterfully.

Cheers,

Marcel

• chuck540z3 likes this

j3of1b.jpg

#1032 chuck540z3

chuck540z3

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 998 posts

Posted 07 October 2017 - 02:08 PM

Chuck,
I have a question: If I remember well you are using inexpensive micro drills for pins. Where do you buy them?

Thank you sir!

Most hobby shops carry small drill bits, but I generally buy mine from UMM-USA. John Vojtech, the owner of UMM, is a master modeller of the highest order and he personally gives terrific service to all orders. The drill bits can be found at the link below, but you really must check out his gallery of models, especially his F-15C. While his use of a dark wash can be argued to be overdone, nobody will ever build a better one.

http://umm-usa.com/o...hp?cPath=21_161

Cheers,
Chuck

Edited by chuck540z3, 07 October 2017 - 05:42 PM.

Pjybie.jpg

#1033 chuck540z3

chuck540z3

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 998 posts

Posted 07 October 2017 - 02:21 PM

Aim-9's look absolutely superb!

Glad you have decided to throw a decent ECM pod on there... which you of course finished masterfully.

Cheers,

Marcel

Hi Marcel! Yes, thankfully you talked me out of using the "Gecko" pod in favour of the ELTA one. I didn't really want anything hanging on the centerline anyway and in reference photos, the ELTA is almost always there on the intake.

I notice that you are using an ELTA pod on your Viper project, which I assume is the Wolfpack version. If it is, I recommend a small strip of styrene to hold the adapter away from the pod a bit at the front, because the gap should be there and it looks like there is something similar on the real deal. Decals are a struggle too due to thickness and some of the detail is wrong, like the spacing of vertical lines on the side of the pod, so the positioning of the yellow lift decals on the bottom is a bit of a guess. Hopefully most of this makes sense when you assemble yours.

Cheers,
Chuck

Pjybie.jpg

#1034 Marcel111

Marcel111

Hooked For Life

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 442 posts

Posted 07 October 2017 - 02:55 PM

Yeah I am throwing one of those on my A, the NSAWC jets frequently fly with them. I think I have the Isracast rendition of the pod, not sure if that is different to the WP version or just a rebrand. Either way I will keep an eye open for that, although on the std F-16 pylon the adapter may be different.

Cheers,
Marcel
  • chuck540z3 likes this

j3of1b.jpg

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users