1/32 Scale Dragon P-51D Mustang

The most common complaint about this kit is the overzealous surface detailing - especially the rivetting, and especially on the wings. This can be toned down without too much effort I think, and deliver a decent Mustang at the end.

Kev

Hi Kev

How would you go about " Toning " down the rivets? they are not as bad as some kits out there.

The fit of the engine cover is poor on one side so I have my work cut out there.

Richard.

Hi Kev

How would you go about " Toning " down the rivets? they are not as bad as some kits out there.

The fit of the engine cover is poor on one side so I have my work cut out there.

Richard.

I would take a jar of Mr. Surfacer 1000, and paint it into all the rivet lines. Let it sit for about 10 minutes or so (you'd have to work in sections), and then take a cotton bud moistened with Mr. Color Thinner (Levelling or not), and rub away the excess. This is not a good method for eliminating them completely, but it will tone them down. You may need to do more than one application, but it's easier than any of the fill/sand alternatives.

For eliminating them completely, I might try some Mr. Dissolved Putty instead, or even some Perfect Plastic Putty, which can be cleaned up with water. The latter doesn't have as much "stickability", however, and is difficult to keep in shallow depressions.

I've got this kit in the stash (thanks, Karim!), but haven't built it yet, so my comments are speculative at this stage, and I certainly have no experience with how it goes together generally. Perhaps I'll do a build guide on it for KLP Publishing!

Kev

I built it a little while ago as a "What If?" build and had a fun time with it. I filled the rivets on the wings using the method Kev described. I did it with Deluxe Perfect Plastic Putty. I would recommend that you seal the putty once you're happy with the way they look. In my case, they're still there but not as divot like in appearance.

IMG_20150411_221016.jpg

IMG_20150411_223052.jpg

IMG_20150413_133419.jpg

The end result:

175.jpg

Hope that helps.

Carl

I would take a jar of Mr. Surfacer 1000, and paint it into all the rivet lines. Let it sit for about 10 minutes or so (you'd have to work in sections), and then take a cotton bud moistened with Mr. Color Thinner (Levelling or not), and rub away the excess.

Kev

Hi Kevin.

I picked up Mr Surfacer 1000 but the LHS does not stock the thinner,is there an alternative?

Richard.