S-3B Viking - scratchbuilt

Starfighter

While I doubt we'll ever see a 1/32 scale Viking in my lifetime, seeing yours take shape is the next best thing.

Blaspheme!   :lol:     Well, I thought the same thing awhile back about a 1/32nd FG.1, and a 1/32nd Lancaster too.   ;)

Edited by Out2gtcha

Blaspheme!   :lol:     Well, I thought the same thing awhile back about a 1/32nd FG.1, and a 1/32nd Lancaster too.   ;)

Brian,

Anything is possible. But the Lancaster is an Iconic WW11 bomber, and the -1D a planned version when the -1 was designed. The S-3 Viking, an important Naval aircraft is just that. How many modelers would actually have enough interest in it to spend upwards to $175 or so for one? Personally, I rather have a P-51B/C and build several versions for my collection. Honestly, I feel that most members here feel the same way. 

To be completely truthful, outside of very early jets, all of my jets with the exception of the Scooter are and will be in 1/48 scale, if for no other reason then display space, with cost per kit running a very close second. 

Joel

Edited by Joel_W

Brian,

Anything is possible. But the Lancaster is an Iconic WW11 bomber, and the -1D a planned version when the -1 was designed. The S-3 Viking, an important Naval aircraft is just that. How many modelers would actually have enough interest in it to spend upwards to $175 or so for one? Personally, I rather have a P-51B/C and build several versions for my collection. Honestly, I feel that most members here feel the same way. 

Joel

Probably true Joel. Im just partial to the look I guess. I know HK still has the B model 51 on the way too.

I guess for now, Bens model will be as close to a 32nd Viking as Im going to get!

Probably true Joel. Im just partial to the look I guess. I know HK still has the B model 51 on the way too.

I guess for now, Bens model will be as close to a 32nd Viking as Im going to get!

Brian,

I just checked out the HK site, and the only project listed is a computer generated mock up of the Mk VIII Lancaster. I can find no concrete evidence of a P-51B actually being worked on. So I'm continuing to classify it as Vaporware until it's officially on their site and more then a CAD drawing.

Joel

Edited by Joel_W

Gentlemen, thank you for your kind comments. They are a huge source of motivation for me! I'll take a photo of the wingfold later today to show you how rough it actually looks. Still, I'll have to live with it. 

Jim, there is no thread about the Vigi I'm afraid. I started it back in 2012 or 2013 I think and it's been in hibernation since I started the Hawkeye. I don't even think I have taken photos of the construction so far. This was completely done without and computer aid (except  for scaling up plans) which will make the upcoming steps a bit more difficult - there is no cockpit inside the fuselage. The idea was to "sculpt" the fuselage first, then vacuform the canopies, open the fuselage and insert a (yet to be built) cockpit. Great idea (not!)! As soon as I resume working on it (no idea when this is going to happen!), I will open a new thread. Promised! 

Zank_Frappa, I use different types (densities) of Renshape / Ureol depending on which part needs to be shaped. 

• 3 weeks later...

Hi everybody, 

I have to admit I am still a bit devatasted by that Photobucket story. I don't have the time to download all the photos and to edit each post at the moment and I have to admit I'm not really willing to pay to host photos. This may change, though...

Anyway, progress has been made on the Viking: inner wing sections fitted, wingfold hinges in place, landing gear legs drawn and 3D printed. I will post pics of the progress once I have found some motivation to find a new image hosting service; in the meantime, I will keep my Facebook page updated for those interested.

Cheers!

Hi Ben,

Unbelievable that i missed this super project of yours, i'm really flabergasted by your expertise, amazing stuff.

I don't have a FB account myself, but checked to see the pictures of "scalenavystuff", and this just blew me away.

I hope you'll be able to have the rest of your progress work displayed on LSP soon, can't wait to see more, very inspirational.

cheers,

Jack.

Ben,

I took a fast look at your FB page, and saw the Vid on the Folding wings. Now that's impressive. 

Can't believe that you're even considering paying FB $400/yr. Please reconsider and it's highway robbery pure and simple.

Joel